Wednesday 20 May 2020

UNLOCK!

No, it's not the sound of Mr Speaker, Sir Lyndsay Hoyle MP, announcing the end of a division in the House of Commons.  It is what has happened over the last week in the surveying world.
British Trust for Ornithology were the first to announce the lifting of surveying restrictions which had been in place since late March.  They were followed by Riverfly and UKBMS.  All them caveated the lifting of surveying restrictions with government advice on social distancing and a maximum of two people surveying.

I must admit to slightly preempting the Riverfly announcement by surveying my Tidna site on 14th May.  Water levels were falling and I didn't want to risk missing the opportunity to survey while there was still some water flowing in the stream.  Despite my misgivings, there was an abundance of invertebrates in the stream giving an abundance score of 12, 4 over the trigger level with Baetidae contributing an abundance score of 3 with over 250 individuals counted.
My Riverfly survey site on the Tidna - May 2020

On Sunday 17th I completed my first WeBS (Wetland Birds Survey) since March at Maer Lake.  Water was in very short supply here with this seasonal lake drying rapidly. 

Maer Lake drying out May 17th 2020

The lack of water and time of year limited the number of birds seen, but I was able to add Mute Swan and Whitethroat to my personal species list for this site as well as seeing a pair of Shelduck.  These bred last year, so with a little luck, and some rain, we may see more Shelduck chicks this year.

Maer Lake - Mallard, Mute Swan, Moorhen and Black-tailed Godwit.
Maer Lake - a pair of Shelduck

I followed this with my survey of Lower and Upper Tamar lakes on Monday 18th.  Again, water levels and species diversity was down.  But Mallard and Canada Geese have bred and young were seen as well as the spring migrants such as Chiffchaff and Willow and Sedge Warblers.

Canada Geese and Goslings at Upper Tamar Lake

Sedge Warbler at Upper Tamar Lake
All these synchronised BTO WeBS surveys were one week later than previously planned due to the length of the lockdown.

My most recent survey was today, the 20th, probably the hottest day of the year and ideal for my butterfly transect unlocked and now made possible by  UKBMS (United Kingdom Butterfly Monitoring Scheme).  This is normally a weekly survey which I last undertook during the last week of March.  What an excellent survey, 73 butterflies of 12 species - Large Skipper; Brimstone; Large, Small and Green-veined Whites; Orange Tip; Green Hairstreak; Small Copper; Common Blue; Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary; Speckled Wood and Small Heath.  What a wonderful range of species.

Green Hairstreak Tidna Valley
Small Heath Tidna Valley
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary Tidna Valley

Common Blue Tidna Valley
I plan to complete my monthly suite of surveys with my two other Riverfly surveys in Coombe Valley and Duckpool/Stowe Woods Bee Walk (although this latter has only just been authorised by Bee Conservation Trust).
It the weather continues as it looks to be, sunny and dry, it is looking like and excellent year for invertebrates now we are unlocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you do like and what you would like to see.